Fine Art Digital Printing Advanced with John Paul Caponigro
Join John Paul Caponigro to take your understanding of digital imaging and digital printmaking to the next level. Clarify and strengthen you unique vision whilst learning how to best apply the advanced printing techniques to get results that are optimum for you. Use the power of digital imaging and printmaking to advance your unique vision!
- Date: July 16-20, 2018
- Destination: Caponigro Arts, Cushing, Maine, USA
- Genre: Fine Art, Printing
- Skill Levels: Advanced
- Group Size: Max. 12
- Includes: You'll leave with several exhibition quality prints, a vastly expanded understanding of the hidden potential in your images, clear ideas of what's unique about your vision, and a roadmap for developing a personal project to effectively present your work in its best light.
The Fine Art Digital Printing workshop series offers the most advanced digital printing workshops available anywhere.
You'll learn more in one week than you learn in a semester in college.
Learn the heart of Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, including the latest advances.
The Fine Art Digital Printing Advanced workshop is designed to take your understanding of digital imaging and digital printmaking to the next level.
Reviewing Your Work
Reviews set the stage for an extended exploration of how to clarify and strengthen you unique vision.
The perspective you gain during reviews will help you make decisions about how to best apply the advanced techniques you learn with your vision in mind so you get results that are optimum for you, not the results everyone else gets.
Developing Your Signature Style
You'll also leave with an expanded understanding of the hidden potential in your images.
You'll leave with clear ideas about what makes a signature style and a body of work.
You'll leave with a clearly defined personal project designed to present your work in the best light and a roadmap for getting there.
Learning the Latest in Printing
You'll leave with several exhibition quality prints in hand.
Come find out about the latest developments in digital printing and see what the latest printers and media can do for you and your images.
Put the R/Evolution to work for you.
Use the power of digital imaging and printmaking to advance your unique vision.
Topics You'll Cover
- Essential Elements of Images
- Ways of Analyzing Images to Develop Effective Enhancement Strategies
- Developing a Signature Style
- Developing a Consistent Body of Work
- Defining Creative Goals / Mission, Goals, Projects, and Next Actions
- The Limits of Color Management
- Advanced Proofing
- Essential Printing Tests
- Exploring the Effects of Substrate
- Fine Art Workflow (Quick Review)
- RAW Conversion (Quick Review)
- Smart Objects (Quick Review)
- Advanced Color Adjustment Strategies
- Advanced Black & White Conversions
- Advanced Selection and Masking
- Sophisticated Dodging & Burning Strategies
- Resolution and Resampling (Quick Review)
- Noise Reduction (Quick Review)
- Advanced Creative Sharpening Techniques
- Focus Effects - HDR Techniques for Tonal and Texture Effects
- Exploring the Effects of Scale
- Print Finishing, Handling and Storage
- Exhibition Practices
- The Business of Fine Art
You'll leave with several exhibition quality prints, a vastly expanded understanding of the hidden potential in your images, clear ideas of what's unique about your vision, and a roadmap for developing a personal project to effectively present your work in its best light.
Getting Feedback On Your Work
The week begins with extensive reviews of participant work.
You'll acquire an advanced language for discussing images in ways that will help you gain perspective and clarity on how to develop your unique vision.
You'll learn how to structure a consistent a body of work and a signature style.
This will give you perspective on how advanced techniques demonstrated throughout the week can be customized for you and your images.
Brief reviews of individual images continue throughout the week.
You'll get substantial feedback on both the work you bring and the work you produce during the week.
Viewing Original Masterworks
One of the best ways to learn how to make better prints is to expose yourself to great masterworks.
You'll develop an eye for the aesthetics of photographic printmaking.
You'll become sensitized to the many nuances that add up to make a great print.
During John Paul Caponigro's workshops you'll see original master works from the history of photography including original prints by Ansel Adams, Wynn Bullock, Paul Caponigro, Linda Connor, Kurt Markus, Arnold Newman, Olivia Parker, Chris Rainier, Joyce Tenneson, George Tice, Jerry Uelsmann, Brett Weston, Minor White, Huntington Witherill, and many more.
This Workshop Is Right For You If
You're quite comfortable with digital workflow and digital printing and you want to take your skills to the next level with advanced techniques while strengthening your personal vision by developing a body of work, a signature style, and define a personal project to effectively present and promote your images.
Getting Ready - Preparing for the Workshop
You will need... An open mind and curiosity are the primary requirements for this week
You need a portable computer, digital files, and Photoshop.
You should be very comfortable with Photoshop.
You should be thoroughly familiar with layers, blend modes, masks, and sharpening.
You should be familiar with the topics we plan to cover and ready to advance your knowledge at a rapid rate.
You have a number of successful images and you want to develop a body of work with a signature style.
Consider John Paul Caponigro's Expert workshop only if you've mastered the Topics and are well along way to finishing a personal project.
Become a Part of Our Community
When you take a workshop you become a part of a community. You discover how much you have to learn from others - and how important that is.
You also discover how much you have to give to others - and how good that feels.
You will be able to connect and stay in touch with people who have similar shared experiences and interests on dedicated Facebook and Flickr group and John Paul's Alumni blog.
"The best thing for me was getting a better sense of what a good print looks like and a better understanding of how to complete a body of work." — Charles Fritsch
Caponigro Arts Location
All Caponigro Arts workshops are held at John Paul's private studio in Cushing, Maine.
Workshops typically run from 9am - 5pm.
Studio courses offer one early (5-7) and one late evening (5-9) lab session. Studio workshops are held primarily indoors. Short field trips are scheduled by request only. Field workshops involve some travel and substantial time on location.
Preliminary and final sessions are held in studio.
Maine is beautiful!
You may want to photograph in the area before or after class.
You may also want to arrive or depart a day or two early or late and experience some of the gems of the area.
John Paul Caponigro
John Paul Caponigro is one of the most prominent visual artists working with digital media. His art has been exhibited internationally and purchased by numerous private and public collections including Princeton University, the Estée Lauder collection, and the Smithsonian.
John Paul dynamically combines his background in painting with traditional and alternative photographic processes using state-of-the-art digital technology. A form of environmental art in virtual space, his work is about the perception of nature and the nature of perception. His life’s work is both a call to connection with nature and a call for conscientious creative interaction with our environment during a time of rapid change.
Respected as an authority on creativity, photography, and fine art printing, he is a highly sought after speaker, lecturing extensively at conferences, universities, and museums, in venues as diverse as Photoshop World, Google and TEDx. He leads seminars and workshops around the globe.
John Paul’s work has been published widely in numerous periodicals and books including Art News and The Ansel Adams Guide. Author of the video training series R/Evolution and the book Adobe Photoshop Master Class, for over twenty years he has been a contributing editor to a variety of magazines and websites including Camera Arts, Digital Photo Pro, The Huffington Post, and Apple.
John Paul is a member of the Photoshop Hall of Fame, an Epson Stylus Pro, and an X-Rite Coloratti. His clients include Adobe, Apple, Canon, Epson, Kodak, and Sony.
Total Cost: USD $1,995
Deposit: USD $350.00
Group size is limited to 12 participants. Limited class size and selective enrollment ensures that participants receive individual feedback and that pace and topics covered may be adjusted based on the needs of the group.
Tuition & Payment
- Prince includes all lab fees
- Pricing is for tuition only and does not include transportation, lodging or food.
- There are no additional fees.
- We require a non-refundable, transferable deposit of $350 to hold your place in the workshop. Reservations are not confirmed until a deposit is received.
- Participants will be billed full tuition 60 days prior to the start of the workshop.
- Early registrants (8 weeks prior to the start of the workshop) receive a 10% discount on the full price (deposit of $350 is still due now to hold your place in the workshop).
- Returning students (alumni) receive a 10% discount, regardless of time of registration. This discount is not cumulative with the early registration discount or transferable.
- You will receive a 10% discount for every workshop participant referral you make. This discount is cumulative and transferable.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy for Caponigro Arts Workshops
- If for any reason you need to withdraw, please notify Caponigro Arts Workshops 30 days or more before the start date of your workshop.
- At that time we will transfer your deposit, less a $150 cancellation fee.
- If notification of cancellation is made 15 to 30 days before the start of the workshop, we will retain the full deposit amount, non-transferable.
- If notification of cancellation is made less than 15 days before the start of the workshop, we must retain the entire balance paid.
- No refund of any fees will be made for withdrawal after the workshop begins.
- Caponigro Arts reserves the right to cancel a reservation if full payment has not been received by 15 days before the workshop begins.
- Caponigro Arts and Photo Educate are not responsible for cancellations due to medical emergencies. We highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. Caponigro Arts recommend you purchase travel insurance through Travelex.
- In the event that a workshop must be canceled due to inadequate enrolment, all fees and deposits are refunded in full or may be transferred to another workshop within 12 months.
- There are no exceptions to this cancellation and transfer policy.
Participants need to bring their own computers. While we recommend you bring your own software, we can provide software for use during the week. Digital cameras are required for field courses only. Our studio equipment (printers, scanners, spectrophotometers, etc) is available for participant use during each workshop.
In special cases, we may be able rent you a computer for a workshop. An additional lab fee will be charged. Please inquire about availability when you register.
PC users should have few concerns about compatibility, as courses are Adobe-centric.
Paper and ink is provided at no extra charge. We use Epson media. If you would like to print on alternate substrates feel free to bring your preferred media.
How Should You Prepare for the Workshop?
- Bring your portable computer loaded with your software to work on. Caponigro Arts do not provide computers/monitors. In special cases, on a very limited basis, Caponigro Arts may be able to provide equipment for you. Caponigro Arts are able to provide the latest version of Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom for your use during the week. Caponigro Arts provide all printers and media - Epson. If you have a special kind of paper or substrate you wish to use, bring it.
- Bring removable media. You'll save valuable time if you bring your own portable hardrive. Caponigro Arts also provide CDs and DVDs.
- Bring your images. Caponigro Arts can look at images in any form: prints, reproductions, electronic slideshows, websites. Prints or individual electronic files that can be browsed in Adobe Bridge are ideal for portfolio reviews.
- Bring a camera. The single biggest mistake John Paul Caponigro says he makes is not bringing his camera with him everywhere he goes. You're bound to find something beautiful during your time at Caponigro Arts, so be ready to make images at a moment's notice.
- Bring something to take notes with. For some a computer keyboard is enough. Some like pen and paper. Others like audio recorders.
- Write down a clear statement of what you hope to accomplish during the workshop.
- Write a well defined set of questions you need answers to.
- Optionally, read the first section (Input to Output) of John Paul Caponigro's book Adobe Photoshop Master Class. Give some consideration to the second (Translating Tradition) and third (Compositing for Classicists) sections. Browse the fourth (Alterations), fifth (Atmospheric Effects), and sixth (Montage) sections for ideas.
- In coming to a workshop, you're setting out on a journey. Make the most of it by taking some time to reflect on what you are about to do before you leave and what you have done when you return. Joseph Dispenza's book The Way of the Traveler has excellent food for thought.
- Expect to meet interesting peers, share similar passions, and see things from new perspectives!
Book or apply for a workshop through PhotoEducate and get:
- 10% off on all Momento Smart frames & Accessories
- Two Months Free Portfolio Website From PhotoShelter
- 15% off of Photo Mechanic Software form Camera Bits
- Free Rocky Nook Photography E-Book from their comprehensive list
- 20% Off Your Workshop Rental at LensRentals.com
- Curated Travel Insurance from Allianz Travel
Book today through PhotoEducate and get these exclusive offers, or contact us if you have any further questions.
Be the first to know about our best workshops and exclusive offers.