Test Product using new App
Join Steve Simon & Zack Arias for an Intensive & Transformational Shooting Experience in The Street Photography Capital of The World.
- Dates: Oct 5-9, 2018
- Genre: Street Photography
- Group Size: Max 9 participants
- Skill Levels: Passionate Photographers (Portfolio Review Required)
- Includes: "Critiques & Lectures, Opening Night Dinner, Snacks
Two of the most passionate photographers you will ever meet, Steve Simon and Zack Arias have teamed up to share this intimate five-day masterclass (limited to 12 students) designed to maximize both the learning experience and your ability to create a unique and powerful portfolio of imagery from New York City. You will explore the vibrant, visually rich places and neighborhoods New York is famous for with Steve & Zack taking you to some hidden gems.
Locations may include: Times Square, High Line Park, Harlem, Fifth Avenue & 57 Street, Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown, Little Italy, Ground Zero and the Lower East Side, Union Square, Washington Square Park, Queens, Coney Island and other parts of Brooklyn.
This intensive workshop will help you find your own unique vision and street style through assignments created to get you past photographic fears and cliches to capturing lyrical, poetic and decisive moments that communicate the energy of the streets. But mostly you will be shooting the theatre that is the street; sometimes together, often on our own.
You’ll learn about the “rhythm of place” and you will discuss the laws and ethics of street photography as well as dealing with difficult situations that might pop up. You will define a strategy for capturing the rich daily life of people on the street; overcoming fears and shyness, approaching strangers, framing, juxtaposition, layering your compositions, letting the image come to you and whether color or black and white best suits your vision. And you will have fun!
Though the schedule may seem packed, woven into the program is down time to relax, edit your work and percolate on the experience and what is being taught.
We encourage flexibility and independence among participants and will attempt to personalize your experience whenever possible. If you fall in love with an area and want to continue working there–you are encouraged to do so.
Limiting the participants to 12 allows us to tailor this workshop to meet the needs of each participant. Lectures and assignments will be personalized to get you out of your comfort zone and push you forward in your work.
VENUE: LOFT SPACE TBD
Day 1: Friday October 5
- 2pm Arrival & Orientation. Introductory meet and greet talking about the week to come as you view the work of some of the best and most influential modern day street photographers followed by a quick-start session with tips on shooting and editing.
- A golden light warm-up photo walk in the Chinatown/Little Italy area close to our venue will break the visual ice.
- A group welcome dinner at our loft location is included in the price. We might screen one of a number of street photography movies in our collection on the inaugural night. Last workshop we saw: Bill Cunningham New York.
Days 2 through 4: Saturday October 6th & Sunday October 7th:
- Lectures will take place at the loft between 10:30am – 1:30PM daily so we can take full advantage of the early morning and late afternoon light (sunrise is approximately 7AM; Sunset: 6:15PM.)
- Shooting locations will be determined each morning. You are free to hang out at the loft to edit or as a base for further shooting. You can keep your stuff safely secured their and grab whatever gear you need for a particular shoot.
- There may be a Saturday Night Shoot – Brooklyn Bridge & Sunday night group shooting session at Times Square. Itinerary to be finalized.
- You are asked to edit your previous days shoot before class, choosing your strongest images of the day.
- Our daily lecture will be followed by a group critique. Then you hit the streets, a little wiser from the day before.
Steve Simon has been passionate about documenting the beauty and drama of the human condition his entire photographic life. The author of five critically-acclaimed photography books with works in major museum collections worldwide, he is on the faculty of the International Center of Photography (ICP) in New York. He has also done a series of photography videos on Lynda.com.
Steve is as passionate about teaching as he is photography. His recently launched blog: thepassionatephotographer.com has info on workshops he teaches globally, including Street Photography Workshops, PhotoPlus Expo, Nikonians, Gulf Photo-Dubai, MacWorld & Nikon Mentor Series. He has been published and profiled in a variety of magazines: Photo District News, New York Times Magazine, Life, Harpers, People & Walrus among them. Corporate clients include Nikon, SanDisk, Sony Music & Apple. Among his honors: Art Director’s Club NY, Canadian News Photographer of The Year, Global Health Council, NPPA & PX3.
Total Cost: USD 5,000
Deposit: USD 300
he cost of this workshop covers tuition only and the opening night dinner, snacks & museum admission. The cost does not include accommodation or travel.
Payment of deposit secures your spot. This workshop is limited to 9 students so we encourage you to book early to avoid disappointment. If for any reason you need to withdraw from the workshop within 45 days of the start date, please notify us in writing (email is okay). The workshop organizers will endeavour to offer you a refund if your spot is filled (less a $250 cancellation fee). Photo Educate and The Passionate Photographer Inc. are not responsible for cancellations due to medical emergencies or unforeseen circumstances. Please insure that these last-minute emergencies are covered by your travel insurance policy.
Book or apply for a workshop through PhotoEducate and get:
- 10% off on all Momento Smart frames & Accessories
- Two Months Free Portfolio Website From PhotoShelter
- 15% off of Photo Mechanic Software form Camera Bits
- Free Rocky Nook Photography E-Book from their comprehensive list
- 20% Off Your Workshop Rental at LensRentals.com
- Curated Travel Insurance from Allianz Travel
Book today through PhotoEducate and get these exclusive offers, or contact us if you have any further questions.
Be the first to know about our best workshops and exclusive offers.